Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Ranu Kumbolo-Mt. Kalimati-Semeru



Salam to all

I hope it is not a boring posting for you ..Anyhow I continued my journey around 2.30p.m from the Lake Kumbolo ..walking uphill and downhill..then suddenly on a different terrain already. Trees were sparsely scaterred with beautiful wild flowers. The highland bushes were not thick anymore. A beautiful terrain and undulating landscapes, views which could compensate the physical tiredness of which I was experiencing. The locals called it "savannah"...So much so while enjoying the views and trying to keep up with the others..opps I fell down..due to unforseen slippery track..I knew it did not hurt now but latter..because I landed on the hip that hurt me before ( I fell on it twice before)...



Savannah and wild flowers..time to stop for photos



Almost there about 1/2 hour to arrive Mt.Kalimathi..not long before maghrib time



Anyhow we arrived at the base around 5.30p.m just maghrib time after 15 km of walking.. The rest of the groups with guides were there..enjoying tea and goreng pisang.

The rest of the pictures were taken on the Semeru Mountain. By the way the license and insurance would only cover till Mt.Kalimathi..not till Mt.Semeru. After some thoughts I did not continue the last 2.5 km trip up to Semeru..due to my leg injury...The brave counterparts including my hubby and Nornaimah (the other female) proceeded to Semeru at 2.00 a.m after some rest at the camps..

The pictures below and after this depicted their struggle and ardous journey to the top..Even the guides stopped halfway to Semeru....sleeping I guessed while waited for them. The porters (local Tangere..4 of them) did even attempt to follow the groups...They waited and rested like me at the base..together with 4 others from Probolinggo Catholic Church. The group only sent 3 pastors to join our group...So in summary the fittest of all only proceeded to the top....




Ab Hakim and Sufian almost there..after 4-41/2 hours of climbing on volcanic sand..we were told every three steps forward, you would fall one step backward..That's why it took long hours even though only 2.5km...





Ab Hakim with the Probolinggo pastors



The first four to arrive to the top


More pictures of their struggle later....

Till then
Puziah
4th July2009/10 Rejab 1430H

2 comments:

Win said...

Salam KP, firstly, lovely and amazing pictures of Allah`s creations, secondly just want to tell you that a friend of mine ( who loves to panjat gunung too) tells me that this hobby of yours is addictive..betul kan? anyhow, Cayalah kak puziah!

Puziah Ahmad said...

WSlm Cik Win...Definitely this hobby is addictive...even water rafting..the local guide told me..ada bahaya bu..apa dia I asked..asyik n mau panjat gunung n ke rafting lagi..

Actually the hobby started way back mid 1990s..mase wat masters di Auck..gi gunung dekat Hamilton..non-stop climbing for 5 hrs..balik boleh turun lari2 lagi..well masa tu mude lagi
KP