Sunday, December 28, 2008

MOUNT MARAPI, BUKIT TINGGI, WEST SUMATERA, INDONESIA (PART 1)


The Minangkabau Restaurant










Lake Meninjau - the birth place of Pak Hamka










Lake Meninjau 2










At one of the Rumah Adat (2007 trip wth in-laws)











Front view of Rumah Adat











Salam to all


A WORTHWHILE EXPEDITION

Sometime in September this year, my other half asked me " Rosman asked us to join them for Gunung Marapi mountain climbing".." very busy, I am behind schedule for my PHD work" I answered.. "Anyway I'll think about it" I said reluctantly.

In actual fact I truly was behind the schedule, the data I gathered waited for me to be mutilated and rigorously analysed for the analysis writing up..Two weeks later the same questions was posed to me. " Zie, must give the answer now because Rosman is on the line to book the ticket on Airasia web" persistantly the persuasion from my husband. "Is it higher than Mount Kinabalu?" I asked.."No no slightly lower than Mount Kinabalu, only around 2800 plus metre.." again he tried to convince me.."K lah book for me"..thinking that I would have a female companion because this expedition is a husband and wife team...

My husband and Rosman are officemates in UMW toyota group. Both are avid mountain climbers.. the other members are normally from our housing estates' friends..around 8 people..I joined the group the first time during "Gunung Nuang climb", then "Irau, Cameron Highland" and the last time was "the Mount Kinabalu expedition". I was the only female in the group ..later I stoppped..with the reason of wanting to concentrate on my study...hah..My husband and his group had conquered many mountains in Malaysia..that's why they wanted to do inter-boundary climb. In May this year the group went to Gunung Kerinchi, the highest peak in Sumatera..

Two couples only since no response from the group's other halfs. So we decided to go to Marapai(not Merapi --in Jawa Island, erupted last year if I'm not mistaken) near Bukit Tinggi and Padang West Sumatera. It is still active and not dormant...must be beautiful, I was thinking.


The starting point

We started our journey from home at 5.30 in the morning of 19th December..My household need had been taken care of by my sons and my sister..LCCT was full with people at the early hours..I remembered when we travelled through it, the first day it opened way back in 2006..to Jakarta, was easy..Oh not now, we have to be here 3 hours before that..Actually we almost missed the flight..luckily they had a counter ..for last minute check in..I mean less that 45 minutes..but we had to carry our bags here and there for the tags, payment, etc..oh no with the children..cannot do like this..


The plane departed on time, full of Malaysians may be holidaying at Minangkabau town (Bukit Tinggi). This was my second trip to Bukit Tinggi since December last year my husband and I accompanied my in laws here. The place is known to be serene and cool with mountainous landscape and background. The indigenous Minangkabau are also skilled craftsmen and good at needlework..so lots of beautiful "telekong" and embroidered clothes...."tak lama 15 minit je" but it would take more than 1 hour at each stop we made last year. My in laws are all fond of this type of embroidery. I heard one of the Malaysian Sultanah ordered her embroideries from here..

Food and juic

When we landed at Padang International Airport at 8.40 a.m local time which 1 hour ahead of Malaysia, the driver and guide were awaiting us..purposedly I did not take my breakfast, only a cup of milo in the plane..because I wanted to reserve my tummy for the delicious Minang food..hah..I was told by the native driver not to just called Padang food because each restaurant has its own speciality..e.g ikan bakar..ikan gulai etc..So we left to the driver to choose.. We departed the airport straight to Bukit Tinggi..about 1.30hour journey..stopped for food..


We tried lots of local delicacy...you know what, it cost around Rm10 per person only, with avocado juice, jeruk juice, tomatoe juice and cucumber juice(the drink I tried the first time here)..One thing I noticed in Bukit Tinggi, the mursolla and Masjid are so distinct and beautifully crafted even at roadside restaurants..

The beginning of ascending mission

After that we continued our journey and stoppped at Kota Baru(not in Kelantan ye) to buy mineral water and rice for our stock. ..Then went through highland prime agricultural land of corns, cabbage , carrot, tomatoes, chillies etc beautiful scenery and simple life of the Minangkabauans..

Suddenly the driver mentioned"pak dan ibu..ini tempatnya...ngak boleh pergi tinggi lagi hanya fourwheel"..That was the point that we would embark the expedtion of Marapi . Quickly changed our climbing gear and put the rest in Toyota Innova at the base..so it started at 11.45 a.m local time...

PUZIAH
p/s second part will be soon InsyaAllah..Salam Maal Hijrah.. 1430H to all..
My heart bleeds when I read in yahoo"..some 280 Palestinians have been killed and 600 people wounded..." on the eve of Maal Hijrah 1430H our brothers and sisters in the Gaza have been pounded with boms and mortar from the Israeli side..one masjid is at ground zero..Ya Allah protect them from the tyranny..gives them courage and strength..I feel so defenseless..Please say your doas to the "jailed Palestinians"..Is this what the world called justice and democracy...turning the blind eye to the world aggressor.....

No comments: