Sunday, September 7, 2008

A weekend in the month of Ramadhan

Salam to all

Today is the 8th day of Ramadhan. Alhamdulillah, praises to Allah , the One grants this opportunity to bestow his mercy on us his servants. Ramadhan is a month of 'barakah' , so grab the chance. It is not a month for us to find excuses for staying inactive, instead increasing efforts to upgrade iman and amal.

Lately , besides the phd academic things..I was busy helping my NGO's colleages in JIM, planning, organising and executing some community projects. Alhamdullillah, yesterday(sunday) we mangaged to hold one project at Masjid Sultan Sallehuddin Aziz Shah, Shah Alam. The objective of the program was to inculcate true understanding and perception about Islam . The target audience was not the people of the same faith. In a short survey conducted by volunteers, including myself at busy shopping complexes in Klang and Subang Jaya, the findings are eye-openers for me. The majority about 68 %(out of 69 respondents) considers there are some positive aspects about Islam which they like. From the interview some respondents said : " I like the elements of respecting family members and elderly relatives among muslim".."practice muslim do not do bad things'.."I have no problems with muslim women wearing 'tudung'..they do not look sexy(male respondent)" ..."I like my muslim friends"..."I pity muslim women..I am afraid they feel hot in tudung".." all people are the same..all religions..some bad some good"..."all people in Malaysia live in harmony"..

Nine of my respondents (out of 11) received our little brochures about some detail explanation of Islam with no qualms. I was happy about that and deep inside my heart, I will always pray that one day they will accept the truth. Generally they are hungry for true information, not as being depicted by world media..(you know what I mean)..

May this Ramadhan Allah showers his mercy to all of us, the muslims..
Allah humma innaka afunwun karimun tuhihibbul'afwa fu'anni
(May Allah forgive our sins)

2 comments:

Mimi Zaleha Abdul Ghani said...

Salam ramadan di bulan yang mulia and mohon maaf jika ada kesilapan dulu. Semoga kita dapat melalui ramadan dengan penuh keberkatan. Its great attemp to open the eyes and heart of the non belivers, being in Malaysia makes a lot of difference to how they would perceive. PM Dr Saadiah from FPP/UiTM Shah Alam went to America not long ago to do so; the online discussion forum on the event was disheartening. Maybe you should take her experience.

Win said...

Salam KP, cabaran berpuasa di Chch yang paling payah setakat ni ialah bangun untuk sahur dalam kesejukan ( bawah 10 darjah C)...Alhamdulillah weather semakin pulih dan mencecah 20 darjah la ni...